Dreaming big is the prerequisite to success. Aspiring to get into a medical college and serving society is crucial to achieving it. Only students with an exceptional academic record can dare to even think of studying medicine. The statements are no exaggeration if you go through recent statistics of the great Indian battle for admission into medical colleges. Data of NEET 2018 shows that 12,69,922 candidates appeared for the examination out of which 7,14,562 qualified to occupy the 63,800 seats available in medical colleges across the country. Making the competition even harder, most of the middle-class aspirants prefer to study in government colleges where the fee is ten times lesser than the private institutes. The Government Colleges provide 25,085 seats for MBBS studies in India.
Owing to the huge difference in the fee structure of government and private colleges, the most sought after medical institutes are those run by the Central or State Governments with bigger infrastructure and experienced faculties. All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS), Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC) Pune, Christian Medical College (CMC) Vellore, Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) Pondicherry, Institute of Medical Science (IMS) Varanasi, and University College of Medical Sciences (UCMS) New Delhi are some of the top institutes where are the best of brains are nurtured in the field of medicine.
The law of demand and supply can also be conjectured in the market of admission. Availability of medical seats is quite diverse across the country. States like Karnataka have 57 medical colleges with more than 8000 seats. On the other hand, states like Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand have only 7 medical colleges. The biggest state Rajasthan has only 17 colleges with a total of 2450 UG seats. Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, and Gujarat top the list of Government college seats for medicine with 2800, 2760 and 2600 seats respectively, whereas Karnataka has the maximum number (5425) of seats in private medical colleges.
The task of allocating these precious MBBS admissions is distributed between the central and the state authorities. Medical Counseling Committee (MCC) conducts counseling for 15% of the seats of all State Government-run and Private Colleges. This is known as Central Pool Quota for UG medical. The remaining 85% of seats are assigned by various Committees authorized by the State Governments for the task. However, the authority to allocate seats for all the central universities and colleges and all the Deemed Universities lies with MCC.
The fee structure is a decisive factor in the selection of the institute. Fees in government institutes range from Rs 2,500 to Rs 50,000 annually. On the other hand, private institutes charge anything between Rs 4 lakh to Rs 12 lakh per year. Interestingly, some of these government colleges make the candidates sign bonds ranging from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 5 lakh. Some colleges also make it mandatory for the students to give their services at least for one year in the rural sector. Isn’t it worth doing for getting such a valuable degree at an affordable cost?
What if someone could not make it in the admission quest with the merit score? Well, if one can pay, there is a small window of NRI quota. The qualification criteria for NRI quota are a minimum 50th percentile (119 marks) in NEET, and the candidate must be 17 years of age. Also, for NRI candidature, one of the following requisites must be fulfilled:
At least one of the parents of the student must be an NRI.
The sponsor should be a real brother or sister and should reside abroad as an NRI.
An NRI guardian will be considered for students with no parents. Only real brothers or sisters, maternal or paternal cousins or grandparents are allowed to become the guardian of such students.
Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) and Person of Indian Origin (PIO) are also allowed for NRI admission.
Another way to get a medical degree is to apply to colleges abroad. Many Asian countries are hot destinations for MBBS aspirants, and China tops the list. Students can enjoy all the benefits of foreign education provided they have the ability to cope with the demands of the new environment, people and culture. However, there are some difficulties in getting foreign degrees recognized in India for those who want to come back and practice their profession. Medical Degrees from some of the top universities of China, Philippines, Ukraine, Kyrgyzstan, Bangladesh, and Nepal are recognized by India. But you have to get the permission from MCI Exam to practice in India.
Just For Education brings you the best information on Medical Studies for India and Abroad. Just For Education is a top medical education consultant. The best medical colleges and universities for medical studies are curated and presented to you by Just For Education.